Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Summer Reading Assesment

It was a quaint afternoon in the small region of Long Island well known at the time as West Egg. A tall lanky man with a muscular stature walked down the side walk kicking stones as he went. The man's name was James Miles. He was a star running back for a local football team from Odessa, Texas. James continued down the sidewalk until he was abruptly stopped by the chest of another tall man. However on the contrary this was an educated, white, wealthy man. This man went by the name Jay Gatsby.

"I'm very sorry my good sir" said James with contempt.

"Oh no sir it was my fault, I was the one not paying attention", replied Jay. "By the way, I would be Jay Gatsby"

"James be my name"

"What brings you here James? Vacation, family, school?"

"Well I got injured playing football for the Panthers at my school, so I quit the team and now I'm just here to blow off some steam. Why do you look so glum?"

"I can't help but to be glum... A girl whom I'm madly in love with has gone off to marry a wealthy entrepreneur and I wish to be with her so"

The two continued to converse about their situations and Gatsby revealed the hidden things from his past and his reasons for obtaining his wealth. As well as James reveals his status where he's from and his feelings about the team and quitting it. The two then decide to go elsewhere and Gatsby then offers to take the boy to a local restaurant to further converse upon their issues. When they get to the restaurant James perks up and says, "Man, I wish that I didn't quit the team, cause they did so good, but I suppose they were better off without me on the team. Thar's probably why they did better."

"Well James it seems that that football team is really the only thing that town has to rely on.", said Gatsby with a chuckle.

"Yeah, pretty much. I think Daisy doesn't know you're where she is yet."

" Well I'm sure she would know after all the parties and things I have and I make my money well known."

"Parties and money ain't everything you know. Try talking to her and let her know your feelings and then let her decide for herself."

"Well then maybe you should get over yourself and even though you won't be perfect get back on the team and help them to victory", said Gatsby with a disgruntled tone. " I won't have anyone questioning who I am especially a stranger like yourself!"

James got up furiously at the comment made by the emotional Gatsby. "Yeah well I had my reasons for getting off the team and they ain't none of your business.", said James. Just then Gatsby tossed down money for both of the meals and stormed out of the restaurant mumbling something about him getting Daisy any way he chooses. Then James heard a newsbroad cast over the radio about a highschool's football team win in Odessa, TX and their epic story that he could had been part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment